- Listed: November 19, 2018 2:35 am
- Expires: 99563 days, 9 hours
Community Action Agencies are nonprofit and public groups funded by the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), a federal program that allocates funding to states to connect Americans to greater opportunity.
The nation’s Community Action Agencies embody our nation’s spirit of hope, change people’s lives, and improve communities. When national, state and local leaders tap into these agencies’ experience, they can promote workable solutions that connect more families to opportunity – and make America a better place to live for everyone.
Community Action Agencies try to ensure that the assistance goes to the least fortunate. The agency helps with free financial help for paying bills, applications to public benefits, and other expenses. They also offer financial support to senior citizens, disabled, unemployed, and households living in poverty.
If you are stressed and dealing with a short term financial hardship, be sure to stop by or call your local community action agency for assistance. Community action agencies may help with the following, please check for available with the agency directly.
- Help for preventing homelessness.
- Pre-School Scholarship Program
- Foreclosure Prevention Programs
- Home repair programs, including low interest loans.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Job training and placement.
- Mortgage, housing, and credit counseling services
- Childcare for poor working parents
- Head Start programs for children.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program
- Free food and meals
- Job Development, Training and Computer Literacy Services
- Home Energy Assistance Program.
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Home Ownership Planning Education
- Prescription Drug Assistance Vouchers
- Rental Assistance program
- Transportation & Aging centers for seniors
Anderson County Community Action , Inc.
Address – 149 N. Main Street
Clinton, Tennessee 37716-3607
Telephone number – (865) 457-5500
Both emergency services and case management provided by the Anderson County Community Action Agency assist low-income families and individuals. They offer referrals to eviction prevention and LIHEAP for paying utility bills. However, much more is offered to, with the goal of ending the cycle of poverty.
Blount County Community Action Agency, Inc.
Location is 3509 Tuckaleechee Pike
Maryville, TN 37803
Dial (865) 983-8411
A number of services are offered by the non-profit. Sign up for job training and employment services. Other short term aid and grants may be available as part of LIHEAP or home repair programs.
Bradley-Cleveland Community Services Agency
155 6th Street SE
Cleveland, TN 37320-3297
Chattanooga Human Service Department
Main address is 501 W. 12th Street
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37402
Supports the Hamilton County region. Case managers will help people gain self-sufficiency. Assistance is offered in the form of credit counseling, information on emergency financial assistance, and more. Low income individuals can apply for other resources as well, such as LIHEAP, food stamps or government grants for back rent expenses.
Clarksville-Montgomery County Community Action Agency
150 Lafayette Road
Clarksville, TN 37042
Call (931) 896-1800 for intake.
Delta Human Resource Agency
915 Highway 51 S.
Covington, TN 38019
Covers the counties of Fayette, Tipton, Lauderdale. Many services are offered by the non-profit community action agency.
Douglas-Cherokee Economic Authority, Inc.
Main address is 534 East First North Street
Morristown, TN 37814
Call (423) 587-4500
Supports the counties and regions of Grainger, Cocke, Hamblen, Jefferson, Sevier, and Monroe.
East Tennessee Human Resources Agency
Location is 9111 Cross Park Drive, Suite D-100
Knoxville, Tennessee 37923
Call (865) 691-2551
Low income programs are offered for families and individuals in Campbell, Morgan, Scott, Union, and Claiborne County. They coordinate home delivered meals for the elderly and seniors, legal aid, process section 8 vouchers in Tennessee, and coordinate other resources.Various assistance programs are administered, with a focus on basic needs and long term self-sufficiency. They also provide coverage to Anderson, Blount, Cocke, Hamblen, Loudon, Sevier, Meigs, Knox and several other counties as noted below.
The main locations of East Tennessee Human Resources Agency include the following.
- Anderson County, 125 Leinart, Clinton, Tennessee 37716, 865-457-3352
- Blount County, 2008 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy., Maryville, Tennessee 37804, main phone 865-681-9161
- Campbell County, 2301 Jacksboro Pike, Ste. 4-B, LaFollette, TN 37766, 423-562-2948
- Claiborne County, 1720 Church St., Tazewell, TN 37879, 423-626-8187
- Cocke County, 386 E. Main St., Newport, TN 37821, telephone number is 423-623-7296
- Cumberland County, 60 Ridley St., Ste. 103, Crossville, TN 38555, 931-484-7456
- Fentress County, 205 S. Main St., Jamestown, Tennessee 38556. For information, dial 931-879-3406
- Grainger County, 784 Rutledge Pike, Rutledge, TN 37861, dial 865-302-1111
- Greene County, 1127 Temple St., Ste. B, Greeneville, TN 37745
- Hamblen County, 900 Trade St., Morristown, Tennessee 37813, 423-587-6511
- Hancock County, 154 Campbell Dr., Ste. C, Sneedville, Tennessee 37869, 423-733-8987
- Hawkins County, 405 S. Armstrong, Rogersville, TN 37857
- Jefferson County, 1248 Gay St., Dandridge, Tennessee 37725
- Knox County/Corporate Office, 9111 Cross Park Dr., Ste. D-100, Knoxville, TN 37923. For information on programs, call 865-691-2551
- Loudon County center is located at 298 Blair Bend Rd., Loudon, TN 37774, 865-986-5506
- Meigs County – 345 N. Main St., Decatur, Tennessee 37322, 423-334-9004
- Monroe County, 415 Isbell, Ste. F, Madisonville, TN 37354, main phone 423-442-5311
- Morgan County, 1111 Knoxville Hwy., Wartburg, Tennessee 37887, 423-346-6651
- Roane County, 117 N. Third, PO Box 448, Kingston, TN 37763, 865-376-3319
- Scott County office is at 727 W. Third St., Oneida, TN 37841, call 423-286-6929
- Sevier County, 717 W. Main St., Sevierville, TN 37862, dial 865-429-6067 for intake
- Union County, 701 Main St., Maynardville, Tennessee 37807, 865-992-8816
Highland Rim Economic Corporation
Mailing address is P.O. Box 208
Erin, Tennessee 37061
Counties – Dickson, Stewart, Humphreys, Houston.
Everything from Emergency Grants to food, Head Start, and other programs are run by the community action agency.
Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee
Mailing address is P.O. Box 51650
Knoxville, TN 37950-1650
Apply for homeless prevention, emergency rent assistance, and government assistance, including LIHEAP energy bill assistance and weatherization. A number of services are provided for seniors and the working poor. Access career counseling and employment opportunities as well. The homeless can look into funds to pay security deposits or first months rent from community action agency programs such as Project Succeed. Food, Head Start, and help for seniors is also administered.
The programs are known from the CAC Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Neighborhood Centers. There are a few in the region with case managers and staff on site.
- East center is at 4200 Asheville Highway, phone: 546-5125
- Western center – 2247 Western Avenue, Main phone: 524-3345
- Northern location, 7028 Maynardville Highway, call 925-0880
- Southern center is at 522 Maryville Pike, 577-7591
Metropolitan Action Commission
Main address – 800 2nd Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37201
Telephone – (615) 862-8860
Provides a wide range of assistance to all of Davidson County. Emergency financial aid, case management, food, and basic needs are a focus. Other resources for qualified low income may be loans for paying expenses such as rent to prevent an eviction and referrals.
The Davidson County Early Head Start program is for children from poor and low-income families. Infants, toddlers, pregnant women and their families can all benefit. Early Head Start and its teachers will enhance the child’s physical, emotional, social, health, and intellectual development. Metropolitan Action Commission programs will also assist pregnant women and help them to access comprehensive prenatal and postpartum care; help parents move toward self-sufficiency and also support parents’ efforts to fulfill their parental roles. There are three centers in the county.
- McNeilly Center for Children, 400 Meridian Street, Nashville, Tennessee 37207, call 255-2549.
- McNeilly Infants & Toddlers Center, 611 Stockell Street, Nashville, TN 37207, call 780-5427
- Nashville Child Center, 4119 Gallatin Pike, Nashville, TN 37216, telephone 262-3358
Mid-Cumberland Community Action Agency
P.O. Box 310
Lebanon, Tennessee 37088-0130
Primary telephone – (615) 742-1113
Helps people in several counties, including Cheatham, Wilson, Sumner, Trousdale, Rutherford, Williamson, and Robertson.
Mid-East Community Action Agency
Mailing address is P.O. Box 790
Kingston, TN 37763
Counties supported – Loudon, Roane
Northwest Tennessee Economic Development Council
Location is 231 South Wilson Street
Dresden, Tennessee 38225-
Telephone number is (731) 364-3228
Covers the NW part of the state. This includes the towns and counties of Carroll, Crockett, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Obion, Henry, Weakley, and Lake.
Shelby County Community Services Agency
Main address – 100 N. Main Building, Suite 1300
Memphis, TN 38103-0513
Telephone number – (901) 545-4630
Resources offered include housing counseling, Head Start, and other government grant programs.
South Central Human Resource Agency
Location is 1437 Winchester Highway
Fayetteville, TN 37344
Call (931) 433-7182
Several counties offered are Bedford, Franklin, Coffee, Giles, Lawrence, Lewis, Hickman, Lincoln, Marshall, Moore, Perry, Wayne, and Maury Counties. To find how to apply for a grant, medical assistance, housing, or other aid from this community action agency, please locate the nearest agency
Locations of SCHRA offices
Bedford County Neighborhood Service Center, 200 Dover St., Shelbyville, TN 37160
Coffee County office is at 414 Wilson Ave., Tullahoma, TN 37388
Franklin County Neighborhood Service Center – 107 N. Porter St., Winchester, TN 37398
Giles County, 937 West College St., Pulaski, Tennessee 38478
Hickman County Neighborhood Service Center address is 101 College St., Centerville, TN 37033
Lawrence County – 15 Public Sq., Lawrenceburg, TN 38443
Lewis County – 43 Smith St., Hohenwald, Tennessee 38462
Marshall County Neighborhood Service Center is at 1572 Old Columbia Hwy., Lewisburg, TN 37091
Maury County Neighborhood Service Center – Address is 1740 N Main St., Ste. E, Hamilton Plaza, Columbia, Tennessee 38401
Moore County Neighborhood Service Center is at 251 Majors Blvd., Lynchburg, Tennessee 37352
Perry County is at 100 Poplar St., Linden, TN 37096
Wayne County address is 525 B Hwy., 64 East, Waynesboro, Tennessee 38485
Southeast Tennessee Human Resource Agency
Address – 312 Resource Road
Dunlap, TN 37327
(423) 949-2191 ext. 124
Counties include Bledsoe, Grundy, McMinn, Meig, Marion, Sequatchie, Polk, Rhea.
Southwest Human Resource Agency
1527 White Avenue
Henderson, TN 38340-0264
Dial (731) 989-5111 for intake.
Supports counties of Chester, Decatur, Hardin, Hardeman, Henderson, Madison, McNairy, and Haywood.
Locations of Southwest HRA centers
Chester County Community Service Center, 269 North Church Street, Henderson, Tennessee 38340, 989-3879.
Decatur County, 2039 Highway 641 South, Parsons, Tennessee 38363, phone 847-8160.
Hardeman County Community Service Center is based at 602-A, Tennessee Street, Bolivar, Tennessee 38008. Phone 658-9292.
Hardin County, 885 Pickwick Road, Savannah, Tennessee 38372, phone 925-5405.
Haywood County Community Service Center – 140 South Wilson Street, Brownsville, Tennessee 38012, telephone 772-2644.
Henderson County Community Service Center, 145 South Main Street, Lexington, Tennessee
38351. Call 968-6802.
Madison County, 1124 Whitehall Street, Suite 201A, Jackson, Tennessee 38301. Main phone – 423-8768.
McNairy County Community Service Center, 145 South Y Square, Selmer, Tennessee 38375, 645-5739.
Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency
580 South Jefferson Avenue, Suite B
Cookeville, Tennessee 38501
Call (931) 528-1127
If you live in Cumberland, Fentress, Overton, Pickett, Putnam, White, Cannon, Dekalb, Van Buren, or Warren and need help with bills, food or a job, call the non-profit agency for information on what they can offer.
Upper East Tennessee Human Development Agency, Inc.
301 Louis Street
Kingsport, Tennessee 37662
Main number is (423) 246-6180
Counties are Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington
595 total views, 2 today