Welcome, visitor! [ Login

Post an Ad


Assistance from Community Action Agencies – Michigan

  • Listed: November 14, 2018 3:05 pm
  • Expires: 97960 days, 19 hours


Our iOS apps : US Benefits Directory , Food Banks Directory , GSA Auctions , Low Cost Apartments Directory,

Community Action Agencies are nonprofit and public groups funded by the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), a federal program that allocates funding to states to connect Americans to greater opportunity.

The nation’s Community Action Agencies embody our nation’s spirit of hope, change people’s lives, and improve communities. When national, state and local leaders tap into these agencies’ experience, they can promote workable solutions that connect more families to opportunity – and make America a better place to live for everyone.

Community Action Agencies try to ensure that the assistance goes to the least fortunate. The agency helps  with free financial help for paying bills, applications to public benefits, and other expenses. They also offer financial support to senior citizens, disabled, unemployed, and households living in poverty.

If you are stressed and dealing with a short term financial hardship, be sure to stop by or call your local community action agency for assistance. Community action agencies may help with the following, please check for available with the agency directly.

  • Help for preventing homelessness.
  • Pre-School Scholarship Program
  • Foreclosure Prevention Programs
  • Home repair programs, including low interest loans.
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Job training and placement.
  • Mortgage, housing, and credit counseling services
  • Childcare for poor working parents
  • Head Start programs for children.
  • Emergency Food and Shelter Program
  • Free food and meals
  • Job Development, Training and Computer Literacy Services
  • Home Energy Assistance Program.
  • Weatherization Assistance Program
  • Home Ownership Planning Education
  • Prescription Drug Assistance Vouchers
  • Rental Assistance program
  • Transportation & Aging centers for seniors

Alger-Marquette Community Action Board
1125 Commerce Dr.
Marquette, Michigan 49855-8630
(906) 228-6522
Examples of resources include the CSFP Supplemental Food for seniors and children, the Michigan Early Childhood Education program, emergency assistance for needs such as security deposits or heating bills, and other aid.

CSFP Supplemental Food is operated by AMCAB. The non-profit distributes free boxes of healthy and well-balanced groceries or shelf-stable foods. Distributions are made at almost 20 convenient sites in their service territory. It is passed out to hundreds of low-income residents of Alger and Marquette Counties in Michigan.

Low income seniors and families with young children under age six who do not qualify for the WIC program are eligible to get assistance from the federal government Commodity Supplemental Food Program. It helps working poor participants supplement their current food supply. This will in effect allow them to focus their income on paying for other essential needs and living expenses. The sites of distribution are:

Republic, St. Vincent De Paul Society
Humboldt Michigan – Humboldt Township Hall
Ishpeming, Pioneer Bluff Apartments
Munising, Munising Lakeshore Manor
Ishpeming – Call or stop by St. Joseph’s Church
Negaunee, Lakeview Apartments
Marquette Michigan site #2 is Oakwood Apartments
Negaunee Michigan residents can stop by the Senior Center
Marquette, Lost Creek Apartments
Marquette – Snowberry Heights Apartments
Marquette, MI – Pine Ridge Apartments
Gwinn; St. Anthony’s Church
Marquette has another church site as well as St. Vincent De Paul
Harvey – Cherry Creek Apartments
Autrain, Autrain Township Hall
Chatham Manor – Stop by Chatham Manor
Skandia – Skandia Township Hall

The Allegan County Resource Development Committee – Community Action of Allegan
323 Water Street
Allegan, MI 49010
Telephone number is (269) 673-5472
Emergency assistance and case management is administered by the community action agency. The non-profit is one of the primary agencies to turn to help help in Allegan County.

Food from the Congregate Meals program provides seniors of all income levels with nutritious, well-balanced meals at multiple sites located throughout Allegan County. In addition to the hot meals, the program also assists older individuals by providing opportunities for education, free health screenings, volunteering opportunities, parties and more in order to enhance their quality of life. The meal site locations include:

  • Grand Ravine, 725 Grant St., Allegan
  • Baraga Manor, 301 Washington, Otsego, Michigan
  • Fennville United Methodist Church, 5849 M89, Fennville, Michigan
  • Hopkins United Methodist Church, 322 N. Maple St., Hopkins, MI
  • Wayland United Methodist Church, 200 North Church St., Wayland

Some of the Head Start services are free healthy meals and snacks, comprehensive education and education opportunities, assistance with medical/dental services, special needs and family support, as well as child development screenings with parent involvement.

Through its Home Based Program, ACRDC also offers services provided in homes throughout the county. The in school locations of the program are as follows.
Fennville Elementary, Fennville, MI
Gilkey Elementary, Plainwell, Michigan
Sycamore Elementary, Dorr, MI
Allegan Lab School – ACATEC Center, Allegan, MI
Early Childhood Center – 623 10th St., Plainwell
Brandon Elementary Head Start, Martin, MI
Baker Elementary, Wayland, Michigan
Pine Trails Elementary, Allegan, MI

Low income families can look into

USDA Commodities Distribution and surplus food. It occurs multiple times per year. ACRDC oversee this for households that have a household income at or below 200% of the poverty level established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The sites of food are.
St. Margaret’s Church – 245 Court St., Otsego, MI
The ACRDC Main Office at 323 Water St., Allegan
Pullman Intercare – 5498 109th Ave., Pullman, MI
Wayland Ambulance – 911 S. Main St., Wayland, Michigan

Area Community Services Employment and Training (ACSET)
This is the community action agency for Kent County.
Location is 1550 Leonard Street N.E., Suite 1
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
Dial (616) 336-4100
Several assistance programs are offered by the non-profit community action agency. Examples include VITA for filing taxes, the TEFAP Emergency Food Assistance program, and funds for paying rent or heating bills.

Baraga-Houghton-Keweenaw Community Action Agency
Address is 926 Dodge Street
Houghton, MI 49931-1944
(906) 482-5528

Capital Area Community Services
Main address is 101 E. Willow Street
Lansing, Michigan 48906
Telephone: (517) 482-6281
Resources are offered for the greater Lansing area. This includes the counties of Clinton, Eaton, Ingham, and Shiawassee. Explore emergency assistance programs for food or home repairs. Other services include Head Start and the location is a weatherization application center.

Clinton County Service Center is at 1001 South Oakland Street, St. Johns, Michigan 48879. Call (989) 224-6702 for information.
Rural Ingham – 218 E. Maple Street, Mason, Michigan 48854, (517) 676-1065
Eaton County CACS Service Center, 1370 N. Clinton Trail, Charlotte, MI 48813. Call (517) 543-5465
Shiawassee County is at 1845 Corunna Avenue, Owosso, MI 48867, dial (989) 723-3115
Lansing Service Center is based at 1301 Rensen Street, Lansing, MI 48910. Call the location at (517) 393-7077.

Chippewa-Luce-Mackinac Community Action HRA, Inc.
Mailing address is P.O. Box 70
524 Ashmun Street
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
(906) 632-3363. A number of services are offered from the community action agency.

Food Assistance – Meals on Wheels offers nutritious, hot, free meals which are delivered daily for all those senior citizens who require contact and support as they are usually homebound or ailing. Another component is Congregate Meals Program. It is a nutritious meal program which is designed for the senior citizen population. People are made to assemble at congregation centers to have lunch and socialize in a group setting. Hundreds of people, including the disabled, get help per month from these Eastern Upper Peninsula locations.
-Luce County, Newberry Center; Tel.: (906) 293-5621
-Mackinac County, Clark Center (906) 484-9501 or stop by Garfield Center (906) 477-6481. Another site is Curtis Center (906) 586-9411.
-Chippewa County has a few locations. They are Detour Center (call (906) 297-5471), Drummond Island Center (phone (906) 493-5059), Rudyard Center (dial (906) 478-5041) as well as Pickford Center (906) 647-2204.
-Other nearby centers are in Raber, Sewell Avery, and Kinross Michigan.

Main locations of community action

  • Chippewa County – Avery Center; 524 Ashmun Street, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan 49783, call 906-632-3363.
  • Luce County – Newberry Service Center, 207 Newberry Avenue, Newberry, Michigan 49868, 906-293-5621.
  • Mackinac County is based at Fenlon Center, 368 Reagan Street, St. Ignace, Michigan 49781 call 906-643-8595.

City of Detroit Department of Human Services
5031 Grandy Street
Detroit, MI 48211
Telephone: (313) 852-5628
(313) 852-4837
Focuses on the city of Detroit. However the non-profit may have information and referrals to other non-profits and centers in Wayne and surrounding counties. See below as well for more information.

Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency
Main address is 2121 Biddle, Suite 102
Wyandotte, Michigan 48192
Call (734) 246-2280
This center does support the greater Detroit area as well as outside of city limits. Various housing, homeless prevention, and food programs are offered. Also learn about self-sufficiency and job retraining programs.

Receive assistance in applying for Michigan Enrolls, the states Medicaid Enrollment Program. It will help residents approved for Medicaid benefits and provide them information and education regarding their government benefit options. Wayne Metro also has counselors who can enroll Medicaid participants into the program of their choice. Call the following locations.

  • Taylor Region IV Service Center, 26650 Eureka, Taylor, MI 48180, phone (734) 992-3465 or (734) 992-3674
  • Hamtramck Community Services Center, 12031 Mitchell, Hamtramck, MI 48212, dial (313) 368-4639
  • The main locations are as follows.

    Wayne Metro Headquarters covers Allen Park, Brownstown, Brownstown, Canton, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile, Huron, Inkster, Livonia, Northville, Plymouth, Redford, Riverview, Rockwood, Romulus, Sumpter, Taylor, Trenton, Van Buren, Wayne, Westland, Woodhaven.
    2121 Biddle, Suite 102 Wyandotte MI 48192, phone (734)-284-6999

    Taylor Human Services Center supports the low income in Taylor, Brownstown, Woodhaven, Flat Rock, Rockwood, Riverview, Trenton, Gibraltar, and Brownstown.
    26650 Eureka Rd Taylor MI 48180. Phone – 313-463-7045.

    Highland Park Services Center is for Cortland Academy Highland Park, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, Grosse Point Woods, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Point, Grosse Pointe Park.
    Address is 138 Cortland Highland Park MI 48203. For Headstart Highland Park School Calls, residents can dial 313-202-0280.  If they are looking for Headstart enrollment information, they need to call 313-388-9799.

    Detroit Service Center is located at 7310 Woodward, Suite 400 Detroit MI 48202. Call 313-388-9799

Community Action Agency – JLH
Address – 1214 Greenwood Avenue
Jackson, Michigan 49203
Telephone: (517) 784-4800
Supports Jackson, Hilldale, and Lenawee County. Numerous resources are offered by the non-profit agency, include rent and mortgage help, heating bill disconnection prevention, government programs such as Head Start, education and many others.

The main offices are as follows.

CAA Administrative Office of Jackson,  1214 Greenwood Ave.,  Jackson, Michigan 49203, call (517) 784-4800
Lenawee County is at 400 W. South St., Adrian, MI 49221, phone number is (800) 438-1845
Administrative Office of Hillsdale, 55 Barnard Street, Hillsdale Michigan, 49242. For information, dial (517) 437-3346

Community Action Agency of South Central Michigan, Inc.
175 Main Street
Battle Creek, MI 49016
Telephone: (269) 965-7766
Covers counties of Barry, Branch, Calhoun, and St. Joseph. Programs include information on emergency services for needs such as rent, energy bills, and security deposits. The non-profit offers meals on wheels for seniors, the Head Start programs, and loans for housing expenses, such as repairs or rental costs.

Services can be arranged by families in Battle Creek and other areas of western Calhoun County Michigan by calling (269) 565-4144 or call 1-800-994-9876. Or, in other areas, transportation services can be arranged in Albion, Tekonsha, Homer Michigan, and other areas in eastern Calhoun County by calling (269) 565-4144.

The main locations of the Community Action Agency of South Central Michigan, Inc. are as follows. Dial 877.422.2726.
Calhoun County – Albion Office, 101 North Albion Street, Albion, MI 49224
Battle Creek Office, 175 Main Street, Battle Creek, Michigan 49017
Barry County Office is located at 231 South Broadway, Hastings, MI 49058
Branch County Office – 285 North Michigan Ave.,Coldwater, MI 49036
St. Joseph County Office, 1000 East Broadway, Three Rivers, Michigan 49093

Blue Water – Community Action Agency of St. Clair County
Location is 302 Michigan Street
Port Huron, MI 48060
Dial (810) 982-8541 for intake.
A number of low income assistance programs are offered, including case management and career counseling. Applications are offered for heating bill help from THAW, the TEFAP Federal Emergency Food Assistance, and other Michigan benefit programs.

Dickinson-Iron County Community Services Agency
800 Crystal Lake Blvd., Suite 104
Iron Mountain, Michigan 49801
(906) 774-2256

EightCAP, Inc.
Location is 904 Oak Drive – Turk Lake
Greenville, MI 48838
Call the center at (616) 754-9315
Regions covered are Gratiot, Montcalm, Ionia, and Isabella.

For more information, including applications, EightCAP has several offices. They are as follows.

  • Main Office is at 904 Oak Dr., Greenville, MI 48838, dial 616-754-9315
  • Gratiot County is served by a center at 9525 N. State St., Alma, Michigan 48801. Call 989-463-5693
  • Clinton County – 4179 S. US 27, St. Johns, MI 48879, telephone 989-224-1368
  • Ionia County – 327 W. Main St., Ionia, Michigan 48846, call 616-527-2337

302 N. Main Street
Scottville, MI 49454
Main phone (231) 757-3785
Counties –  Manistee, Mason, Newaygo, and Lake.

Genesee County Community Action Resource Department
Stop by the center at 605 N. Saginaw Street, Suite 1B
Flint, MI 48502-2009
Phone – (810) 232-2185.

Gogebic-Ontonagon Community Action Agency
100 S. Mill Street
Bessemer, MI 49938
Telephone number – (906) 667-0283

Human Development Commission
Address : 429 Montague Avenue
Caro, MI 48723
(989) 673-4121
Covers Huron, Lapeer, Sanilac, and Tuscola County. This is the leading non-profit agency for nearby Michigan families to contact.

There are several centers of the non-profit Human Development Commission. They include the following.

  • Tuscola County, 429 Montague Ave., Caro, Michigan 48723, 989-673-4121
  • Sanilac County, 215 N. Elk St, P.O. Box 207, Sandusky, MI 48471. Call 810-648-4497 for information on programs.
  • Huron County, 150 Nugent Rd., Bad Axe, Michigan 48413, 989-269-9502
  • Lapeer County, 1559 Imlay City Rd., Lapeer, MI 48446, telephone 810-664-7133

Intertribal Council of Michigan
Address is 2956 Ashmun
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
Call (906) 632-6896
This non-profit operates statewide. They help Native Americans and their families.

Kalamazoo Community Action Agency
Location is 3299 Gull Road
Wing 2, Floor 3, Room 310
Kalamazoo, MI 49048
Call (269) 373-5066 for hours and information.
Senior meals are provided. Some limited referrals for emergency aid and grants may be provided. Or apply government programs such as weatherization or Head Start.

Macomb County Community Services Agency
21885 Dunham Road
VerKuilen Building, Suite 10
Clinton Township, MI 48036-1030
(586) 469-6999.

Locations of the Macomb community action are as follows.

There are three offices. Anyone in need of help should dial Dial (586) 469-6999 for the latest programs first, as resources come and go and the type of assistance will change.

  • North Action Center can be reached at 58527 Delanie Street, New Haven, MI 48048
  • Central Action Center. Address is 16 Market Street, Mount Clemens, MI 48043.
  • Another office is at 22856 Ryan Road, Warren, MI 48091.

Mid-Michigan Community Action Agency
1574 E. Washington Road
Farwell, MI 48622-0768
Dial (989) 386-3805
The non-profit helps people in Bay, Osceola, Clare, Gladwin, Mecosta, and Midland.

Locations of the outreach centers are as follows.

  • Midland County office is at 1409 Washington Street, Midland, Michigan 48640, dial 989-832-7377
  • Osceola County, 240 E. Church St., Reed City, MI 49677, 231-791-7078
  • Mecosta County – 14330 Northland Drive, Big Rapids, MI 49307, dial 231-660-0271 for intake.
  • Gladwin County, 1302 Chatterton St.., Gladwin, Michigan 48624, telephone number is 989-426-2801
  • Bay County, 111 Washington Ave., Bay City, MI 48708, 989-894-9060
  • Clare County, 1574 E. Washington Rd., PO BOX 768, Farwell , Michigan 48622, phone 989-386-3805

Menominee-Delta-Schoolcraft Community Action
Location is 507 First Avenue North
Escanaba, Michigan 49829-3998
Main number is (906) 786-7080
Counties supported are Delta, Menominee, and Schoolcraft as well.

Monroe County Opportunity Program
Main address is 1140 S. Telegraph Road
Monroe, MI 48161
Main number – (734) 241-2775
Call for information on state of Michigan public aid programs. Other resources include weatherization and information on employment programs. Senior meals and resources for children, such as snacks and day care, may be administered as well.




Muskegon-Oceana Community Action Partnership
1170 W. Southern Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49441-2241
Call (231) 725-9499
A wide range of resources are available from this community action organization, even including free school supplies or surplus government food commodities.

The main offices of the Muskegon-Oceana Community Action Partnership are as follow. They provide coverage across the region.

  • 1170 W. Southern Ave., Muskegon, MI 49441, call 231-725-9499
  • Townsend Action Center, 313 Jackson Ave., Muskegon, Michigan 49442, telephone 231-722-7608
  • Eastview Action Center is at 5129 E. Apple Ave., Muskegon, MI 49442. Call 231-788-2479 for intake.
  • Heights Action Center, 273 E. Broadway, Muskegon, MI 49444, dial 231-733-4438
  • Oceana Action Center, 569 S. State St., Shelby, Michigan 49455, min phone 231-861-5767

Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency, Inc.(NEMCSA) 
Location is 2375 Gordon Road
Alpena, Michigan 49707
Telephone: (989) 356-3474
Services are provided in several different counties and regions, including Alcona, Ogemaw, Alpena, Arenac, Cheboygan, Crawford, Iosco, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, and Montmorency.

Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency
Location is 3963 Three Mile Road
Traverse City, MI 49686-9164
(231) 947-3780
Case management and other aid is for people in the counties of Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Emmet, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Missaukee, Leelanau, Roscommon, and Wexford.

Oakland-Livingston Human Service Agency (OLHSA)
Main address is 196 Cesar E. Chavez Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48343-0598
Call (248) 209-2600
One of the state’s largest non-profit agencies. In addition to many of the programs listed on this page, they also offer foreclosure counseling, which is needed in the fairly weak Michigan housing market. Additional homeless prevention and rental assistance may be offered. Other assistance in the Oakland County MI area can include food programs, job search services, and referrals.

To learn more, dial (248) 542-5860 for the South Oakland County Office, (517) 546-8500 in Livingston County, or dial the central Oakland OLHSA office at (248) 209-2600.

Ottawa County Community Action Agency
Address – 12251 James Street, Suite 300
Holland, Michigan 49424-9661
(616) 393-4433. A number of programs are run by the Michigan non-profit.

For more information, call Ottawa County Community Action Agency. They are located at 12251 James St., Ste. 300, Holland, Michigan 49424-9661. The main number for referrals to these or other resources in the community.

Saginaw County Community Action Committee, Inc.
Main office is at 2824 Perkins Street
Saginaw, Michigan 48601
Phone number is (989) 753-7741
Energy bill programs include Weatherization and government grants for paying heating bills. They also offer GED training, mortgage delinquency counseling, and eviction prevention services. Saginaw County Community Action Committee is based at 2824 Perkins Street in Saginaw, Ml 48601. Call them at (989) 753-7741. A second office is at 800 South 20th Street

Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency
Address is 185 E. Main Street, Suite 200
Benton Harbor, MI 49022-4432
Dial (269) 925-9077
Regions in the SW supported are the counties of Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren. The community action organization offers transitional housing and the Decatur Family Shelter, free food for seniors and the low income, and emergency financial aid or grants for paying deposits, heating bills, or costs such as rent.

The agencies administers dozens of services for over 40 counties located in northern Michigan. They partner with community action agencies to provide free car seats, loan out medical equipment to seniors or the disabled, and also provide financial help.

For more information on the programs, TrueNorth is based at 6308 S. Warner Ave., Fremont, MI 49412. As noted, about 50 counties in northern Michigan are supported, and dial 231-924-0641. Click here to search their site for available resources

Washtenaw County Employment Training & Community Services Group (ETCS)
301 W. Michigan Ave., Ste. 400
Ypsilanti, MI 48197-0915
Call (734) 544-6850 for hours and intake.
The center operates similar to a non-profit community action agency, but they also have extensive linkage to programs available in Michigan and the county. The best number to call for referrals and information on Washtenaw County services is 1-866-953-4357. Information can be provided to those that qualify.

Apps for helping low income US residents

Food Bank / Food Pantry locations

Affordable subsidized Apartments for Rent

Government Benefits Listings

Ad:Presenting Paid Survey Platform in partnership with Precision Sample.Check your eligibility below or visit http://beracah.info/survey

If you find any of the information provided above is not accurate or if you like to add a new location to the listing above please email beracahsites@gmail.com

Disclaimer: The community resource directory information is deemed accurate and up-to-date, however, you should always call the provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. God-Bless-You
Our privacy policy

No Tags

1738 total views, 1 today


Listing ID: 8145bec2a558a148

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....

Sponsored Links

Meals for Kids Program

Summer Meals : There are hundreds of meal sites around USA with free meals for kids and teens ages 1-18. Summer meal programs may serve a combination of lunch, breakfast, supper and morning or afternoon snacks. Some programs also offer learning activities for kids before or after meals. Use the link  below to find a site near you. Summer Meals Map