- Listed: November 19, 2018 3:52 am
- Expires: 99010 days, 3 hours
Community Action Agencies are nonprofit and public groups funded by the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), a federal program that allocates funding to states to connect Americans to greater opportunity.
The nation’s Community Action Agencies embody our nation’s spirit of hope, change people’s lives, and improve communities. When national, state and local leaders tap into these agencies’ experience, they can promote workable solutions that connect more families to opportunity – and make America a better place to live for everyone.
Community Action Agencies try to ensure that the assistance goes to the least fortunate. The agency helps with free financial help for paying bills, applications to public benefits, and other expenses. They also offer financial support to senior citizens, disabled, unemployed, and households living in poverty.
If you are stressed and dealing with a short term financial hardship, be sure to stop by or call your local community action agency for assistance. Community action agencies may help with the following, please check for available with the agency directly.
- Help for preventing homelessness.
- Pre-School Scholarship Program
- Foreclosure Prevention Programs
- Home repair programs, including low interest loans.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Job training and placement.
- Mortgage, housing, and credit counseling services
- Childcare for poor working parents
- Head Start programs for children.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program
- Free food and meals
- Job Development, Training and Computer Literacy Services
- Home Energy Assistance Program.
- Weatherization Assistance Program
- Home Ownership Planning Education
- Prescription Drug Assistance Vouchers
- Rental Assistance program
- Transportation & Aging centers for seniors
Capital Resource Agency, Inc.
Address – 413 D Street
South Charleston, West Virginia 25303
Telephone number – (304) 720-5413
One of the primary non-profit agencies in the region. Services available include homeless prevention and housing counseling. Low income families can also apply for LIHEAP energy bill assistance at the center. Other assistance may be rental, housing vouchers, and funds for paying security deposits. Provides services for the counties and regions of Boone, Clay, Fayette, Kanawha, and Putnam.
The EnAct Aged and Disabled Program is available as a long-term care alternative. The goal is to enable an individual to either remain in or return to home rather than receive nursing care. It will offer people dignity, independence, and other support. Clients will be able to receive help from a Registered Nurse (RN) and/or Social Worker. They will arrange for in-home care and personal services through the program.
The main offices of EnAct are listed below. They have locations in each county.
Charleston Service Office, 1701 5th Ave, Suite 7, Charleston, West Virginia 25387, Phone – 304.414.4475
12404 McCorkle Avenue, Chesapeake WV 25315, Main phone – 304.949.6077
13 Main Street, Clendenin WV 25045, call 304.548.5392
416 4th Ave., Montgomery, WV 25136, Telephone – 304.442.2018
Hurricane Service Office, 2727 Main Street, Hurricane, WV 25526, main phone 304.760.6067
119 Main Street, Clay, West Virginia 25043, Phone – 304.587.6047
Danville Community Center, PO Box 187, 731 Hopkins Ave, Suite 201, Danville, West Virginia 25053, call 304.369.9081
Central West Virginia Community Action Association, Inc.
Mailing address – P.O. Box 1070
Clarksburg, WV 26302-1070
Telephone: (304) 622-8495
Supports counties of Harrison and Lewis.
3136 West Street
Weirton, West Virginia 26062
Supports counties of Hancock, Marshall, Ohio, and Brooke.
CHANGE, Inc. has a few offices in the area. They are noted below. Call them for information on emergency assistance or long term support.
- 3136 West Street, Weirton, West Virginia 26062., call 304-797-7733
- Moundsville Outreach Office, 700 First Street, Moundsville, WV 26041, 304-845-8269
- 3136 West Street, Weirton, West Virginia 26062, call 304-748-2828
- Wintersville Center, 200 Luray Drive, Wintersville, OH 43953, call 740-314-8258
- 3136 West Street, Weirton, WV 26062, dial 304-748-4200
Coalfield Community Action Partnership, Inc. or Mingo County.
P.O. Box 1406
Williamson, WV 25661
The vast majority of programs are focused on Mingo County, but there can be other services, such as weatherization, for other regions such as Kanawha or Boone. Other resources include emergency rental assistance from Supportive Services for Veterans, clothing vouchers, and information and referrals to benefits such as SNAP in West Virginia. Coalfield Community Action Partnership is located at 1626 W. 3rd Ave., Williamson, West Virginia 25661. Call the main office at 304-235-1701.
Community Action of Southeastern West Virginia
Mailing address: 307 Federal Street, Ste. 323
Bluefield, WV 24701
Counties – Mercer, Monroe, Summers.
Community Resources, Inc.
Location – 601 Avery Street
Parkersburg, WV 26101
Call (304) 485-5525 for intake
Agency supports counties of Calhoun, Doddridge, Gilmer, Pleasants, Ritchie, Tyler, Wetzel, Wirt, Wood, Jackson, and Roane, so this community action center covers a wide area. It provides employment referrals and training, and information on government assistance, such as Head Start and food stamps. Cash assistance, or maybe loans may be issued for some expenses such as utility bills, back rent payments or medications.
Below is how you can get information or access the programs offered by the community centers of Community Resources.
Roane County, 225 Main Street; Spencer, West Virginia 25276; Phone 304-927-4632
Tyler County, 251 Main Street, New Martinsville, WV 26155; Phone/Fax: 304-455-2701
Wetzel County, 1212 North State Route 2, New Martinsville, WV 26155 call 304-455-2701
Wirt County, Washington Street / P.O. Box 238, Elizabeth, West Virginia 26143; 304-275-4306
Wood County, 914 Market St., Parkersburg, WV 26101, dial 304-485-5525
Calhoun County, 258 Court Street, P.O. Box 309, Grantsville, WV 26147. Phone – 304-354-9265
Doddridge County office is at Rt. 2 Box 25B; West Union, WV 26456, Phone/Fax: (304) 873-3439
Gilmer County, 34 East Main Street; Glenville, WV 26351, dial 304-462-8698
Jackson County, 206 Stone Drive; Ripley, WV 25271, telephone 304-373-0313 is for intake.
Pleasants County, 709 2nd Street; St. Mary’s, West Virginia 26170, 304-684-3461
Ritchie County CRI center – 633 S. Spring Street; Harrisville, WV 26362, dial 304-643-2332
Council of the Southern Mountains
Mailing address – PO Box 85
Northfork, WV 24895
Telephone: (304) 862-3144
Eastern West Virginia Community Action Agency
401 Maple Avenue
Moorefield, West Virginia 26836
Supports people in counties of Grant, Pendleton, Hampshire, Hardy, Mineral, and Morgan. Various social services and emergency aid is offered.
Mountain CAP of West Virginia, Inc.
Main address is 26 North Kanawha Street – Suite 201
Buckhannon, WV 26201
Telephone: (304) 472-1500
Counties are Upshur, Webster, and Braxton.
While many programs are run by this community action agency, of particular focus is on homeless prevention. The non-profit runs an eviction assistance program known as HPRP, operates low income housing, assists with utility bills, and may even have funds for other housing costs, such as rent. Other aid is also provided.
For more information, there are a few centers in the region.
- Braxton County, 541 Enterprise Drive, Gassaway, West Virginia 26624, dial (304) 364-2330.
- Webster County CAP office is at 139 Baker Street, Suite 7, Webster Springs, West Virginia 26288. The main number is (304) 678-0000.
- There is also a satellite office in Upshur County. It is located at 10 Island Avenue, Buckhannon, West Virginia 26201. Telephone – (304) 472-6808
Mountain Heart Community Services, Inc. of Wyoming County
Mailing address is P.O. Box 1509
Oceana, WV 24870
Call (304) 682-8271
Apply for resources such as weatherization or job training. Case managers will help the unemployed, seniors, and others get the help they need.
Nicholas County Community Action Partnership, Inc.
Address – 1205 Broad Street
Summersville, WV 26651
Telephone: (304) 872-1162. Numerous services are available.
North Central West Virginia Community Action Association
1304 Goose Run Road
Fairmont, WV 26554
Telephone: (304) 363-2170
Regions are in the northern part of the state, and include counties of Barbour, Greenbrier, Taylor, Marion, Monongalia, Pocahontas, Preston, Randolph, and Tucker County.
North Central West Virginia Community Action Association Locations:
- Barbour County Office – Address: P.O. Box 279 (Rt. 2, Belington Road), Philippi, West Virginia 26416, phone (304) 457-3420
- Greenbrier County Office is at 200 E. Main St., White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia 24986, dial (304) 536-1050
- Marion County – Address is 1304 Goose Run Rd., Fairmont, WV 26554. Dial (304) 366-4367.
- Monongalia County – Address: 1304 Goose Run Rd., Suite 3, Fairmont, WV 26554, main phone (304) 363-4367.
- Pocahontas County – 819 Third St., Marlinton, WV 24954, dial (304) 799-4082.
- Preston County community action agency – 104 East Main Street Suite 2, Kingwood, WV 26537, phone (304) 329-1028.
- Randolph County Homeless Shelter – 938 S. Davis Avenue, Elkins, West Virginia 26241, dial (304) 636-5008.
- Taylor County Office – 20 E. Main Street, Grafton, WV 26354, dial (304) 265-3200.
- Tucker County – P.O. Box 361, (513 Central Avenue), Parsons, WV 26287, dial (304) 478-3536.
PRIDE Community Services
P.O. Box 1346
Logan, West Virginia 25601
Phone – (304) 752-6868
Counties – Logan
Raleigh County Community Action Association, Inc.
Mailing address – P.O. Box 3066
East Beckley Station
Beckley, WV 25801
They offer several programs to the low income, including the Project for Assistance in Transitioning Out of Homelessness as well as help for car repairs in the form of discounts. Applications for heating bill assistance and other resources are provided too. The location of Raleigh County Community Action Association is at 111 Willow Ln., Beckley, West Virginia 25801. Dial them at 304-252-6396.
Southwestern Community Action Council, Inc.
Office address – 540 5th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Counties covered are Cabell, Lincoln, Mason, and Wayne. A shelter system addresses housing and eviction prevention. There are also emergency financial aid programs, job training from the Senior Community Service Employment Program, and other resources from the community action agency.
Location is 891 Auto Parts Place
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25403
Telephone: (304) 263-0916
Provides low income assistance and services to the counties of Berkeley and Jefferson.
They serve the part of the state area. It is a community action agency that provides many services to low income families. They assist the under and unemployed, offer job training, and even have emergency financial aid or loans in West Virginia.
West Virginia locations (northeastern counties)
- 891 Auto Parts Place, Martinsburg, WV 25403, (304) 263-0916
- 67 Aikens Center, Martinsburg, WV 25404, main number is (304) 263-0916
If you find any of the information provided above is not accurate or if you like to add a new location to the listing above please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The community resource directory information is deemed accurate and up-to-date, however, you should always call the provider to confirm this information and make an appointment. Be sure to confirm payment information with the provider, if payment is required. God-Bless-You
1360 total views, 1 today
Meals for Kids Program
Summer Meals : There are hundreds of meal sites around USA with free meals for kids and teens ages 1-18. Summer meal programs may serve a combination of lunch, breakfast, supper and morning or afternoon snacks. Some programs also offer learning activities for kids before or after meals. Use the link below to find a site near you. Summer Meals Map